For residents in Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex Counties, Massachusetts, late summer can be a great time to enjoy the last days of summer and chill before school starts up again. But it’s also the time when air conditioning systems can start to act up, and stop working efficiently. Rather than waiting until your air conditioning system fails, it is the perfect time to have Addario’s Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electrical do an A/C check of your home’s systems.
There are things you can check before you call us for service, but our inspection will pinpoint any hidden issues your air conditioning system may have, and we can help you save money and increase your system’s efficiency. Here are some questions to think about if your A/C unit isn’t running effectively.
Home zoning – is it right for you?
Home zoning is installed in most new homes being built today because it’s so efficient and can save big money on utility bills. The good news is these systems can be installed in older homes as well. If your home has areas where it is hotter or cooler even though the thermostat is on one temperature setting, you may benefit from a zoned thermostat system. Addario’s technicians can evaluate your existing A/C unit and install home zoning thermostats.
Is your current thermostat performing as efficiently as it used to?
If you notice your thermostat is set for a certain temperature, but the thermometer shows your home’s temperature is either cooler or warmer that what it’s set to, you may need to have it inspected. Our cooling experts are able to check your thermostats and asses their efficiency and recommend solutions.
Have you considered an energy audit?
You may be eligible for tax credits and incentives when you have an Addario’s energy expert conduct an inspection of your home’s energy usage. Our technicians are knowledgeable about all the tax incentives and other options for homeowners and we can offer a variety of energy-saving solutions tailored to your needs.
During an energy audit, we’ll use the latest technology—including video cameras and specialized tools— to assess your home’s efficiency. Call Addario’s to schedule an air conditioning inspection and get the highest quality service for homeowners in Massachusetts.
Leading Massachusetts HVAC and plumbing company offers advice on the best timing for HVAC repair and replacement
WOBURN, Massachusetts – Addario’s Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electrical, a leading HVAC and plumbing company serving Woburn, Massachusetts and surrounding counties since 1998, is offering advice to Boston area homeowners on the proper time to replace or repair existing HVAC systems.
“The heat this summer in the Boston area and around Massachusetts can put serious stress on a home’s HVAC system, especially on older units that may have been in a home for a long time,” said Steven Addario Jr., president and owner of Addario’s. “While most HVAC systems can be repaired without substantial investment from a homeowner, if breakdowns are a consistent problem, it may be time to think about replacing the unit with a more efficient model.”
Addario’s offers the following advice for homeowners to help determine if repairing or replacement is the best option for an existing HVAC system:
- HVAC System Age – If the HVAC system is 10 years old or less, the best option is to contact a licensed service technician for a repair. If the system is more than 10 years old and is consistently breaking down, replacement is the better option, especially if you factor in the cost of ongoing repairs to the existing system.
- Cost Savings – If you are noticing that your energy bills continue to rise month over month and year over year, the energy cost savings with a new HVAC system will help pay for a replacement quickly over time. In addition, many newer HVAC systems with an ENERGY STAR rating may include tax credits and incentives that can offset the cost of replacement versus repair.
- Comfort Level and Air Quality – If your existing HVAC system is consistently breaking down or cools your home unevenly, repairs can be done to maintain your system, but the best option is for a replacement HVAC system. In addition to offering proper cooling for your whole home, a new HVAC system can also improve the overall air quality in your home through better control of indoor temperatures and humidity, helping to reduce mold and mildew growth.
The HVAC experts at Addario’s have helped numerous Woburn and Boston area residents upgrade current HVAC systems to newer, more efficient models that can save money and cool more effectively while also offering repairs to existing HVAC brands to help extend their effectiveness.
For more information about repair or replacement of HVAC systems in the Boston area, visit www.addarios.com.
About Addario’s Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electrical
Addario’s offers a wide array of services in the areas of heating and cooling, plumbing, drain cleaning, and electrical solutions, including 24-hour emergency assistance for more than 30,000 commercial and residential customers in the Massachusetts market. In addition, has expanded services for turnkey bathroom remodels and more. Family-owned and operated, Addario’s was established by Steven Addario, Jr., in 1998. The company is recognized as the leading trusted choice as it is built upon customer satisfaction, reliability, safety, and ethical business practices. To learn more, visit www.addarios.com.
If you live in Middlesex, Norfolk and Essex Counties, Massachusetts, the ductwork in your home could not only be causing you to pay more money for energy in winter, but it can also cause discomfort for your family if your ducts are releasing harmful dust, fumes or insulation particles into your house.
As Massachusetts duct cleaning experts, we have worked with a number of Boston area homeowners to evaluate, clean and repair the ducts in homes of all ages. The Addario’s team of expert technicians can repair or replace the ducts in your home to make sure they are working properly.
Summer is a great time to inspect and repair the ductwork in your home to ensure that your ducts are clean and leak-free, while also offering enhanced indoor air quality, before your home heating system has to work hard this winter. A few benefits of inspecting and repair the ductwork in your home include:
Health – Leaky ductwork can cause harmful fumes, chemicals, insulation particles and dust to leak out into your home, which can be extremely harmful to those with allergies or asthma. Replacing or repairing your ductwork will eliminate most, if not all, of these harmful particles from leaking out into your home.
Safety – If the ductwork in your home is not sealed properly, combustion gases from your home gas equipment, including stoves, furnaces, water heaters, and fireplaces, can flow back into your home instead of outside. These harmful gases include carbon monoxide, which is completely odorless and invisible and can lead to death. With new ductwork, your family can rest assured that all harmful gases are being directed properly outside your home.
Save money – Leaky ducts can allow heat to escape, making your heating system work harder to keep your home warm during winter. A properly sealed duct system saves money and lowers your energy bills by allowing heat to move freely through your home’s ductwork.
Comfort – If your home duct work is improperly sized or leaking, it can cause severe temperature fluctuations throughout different areas in your home. This not only can put an unnecessary strain on your heating system, it can also waste energy, which will translate into higher heating bills. In addition, old ductwork often contains dirt, dust and other harmful particles that then can be breathed in by your family each day. New ductwork will allows you and your family to breathe easier, can help prevent certain allergies and improve the air quality of your home.
Summer is a great time for homeowners in the greater Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex County areas to have their ductwork inspected, repaired and replaced to improve overall air quality and help save money on energy expenditures year round. If you are interested in the repair, replacement and inspection of the ductwork for your Boston area home, contact Addario’s Plumbing today for the highest quality service for homeowners in Massachusetts to make sure that your home’s systems are working at 100% capacity.
Leading Massachusetts HVAC and Plumbing Company advises homeowners regarding potential pitfalls of bathroom remodeling
Addario’s Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electrical, a leading HVAC and plumbing company serving Woburn, Massachusetts and surrounding counties since 1998, is offering homeowners advice regarding stumbling blocks that they may face when undertaking bathroom remodels.
“According to Renovation Magazine, bathroom remodels have a rate of return at 78.3% for homeowners, adding value to a home through enhanced aesthetic, as well as upgrades to plumbing and appliances,” said Steven Addario Jr., president and owner of Addario’s. “Professionals can help save time and money by providing homeowners high quality products for showers, bathtubs, and other bathroom accessories. In the long run, consulting an expert technician can help homeowners save thousands in repairs and replacements.”
Addario’s tips that homeowners can use to prepare for a bathroom remodel:
- Do your research – Whether you research on your own, trust a professional or consult a professional after researching, inform yourself about textures, tiles, lighting, appliances and your home’s framework to avoid any mid-remodel repairs.
- Measure and draw your space – Know exactly how much space you have to work with and draw it on paper. Sketch out a number of different appliance, bathtub and accessory heights and sizes on paper prior to installation day to understand the variety of options you have available.
- Plan for storage spaces, such as cabinets and shower cubbies, when determining your bathroom remodel.
- Save time with a one-day bathroom remodel – Some plumbing companies offer a one-day remodel package that can minimize downtime for your bathroom remodel. Ask your local professionals if they offer a similar service.
Trusted professional service technicians, including the experts at Addario’s, have helped numerous Woburn and Boston area residents save money on one-day bathroom remodels, as well as plumbing renovations and repairs.
For more information about bathroom remodeling tips or the one-day bathroom remodel services that Addario’s has to offer, visit www.addarios.com.
About Addario’s Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electrical
Addario’s offers a wide array of services in the areas of heating and cooling, plumbing, drain cleaning, and electrical solutions, including 24-hour emergency assistance for more than 30,000 commercial and residential customers in the Massachusetts market. In addition, has expanded services for turnkey bathroom remodels and more. Family-owned and operated, Addario’s was established by Steven Addario, Jr., in 1998. The company is recognized as the leading trusted choice as it is built upon customer satisfaction, reliability, safety, and ethical business practices.
For residents in Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex Counties, Massachusetts, summer time often means trips to the beach, enjoying the sun and hoping that your Air Conditioning and HVAC units are prepared for the heat of summertime. If you haven’t had the A/C and HVAC units in your home inspected, now is a great time to let the cooling experts at Addario’s inspect your cooling system to make sure it works properly all summer long.
As Massachusetts cooling repair, maintenance and service experts, we know that air conditioning and HVAC units that have not been inspected, maintained or replaced for years can’t keep up with the cooling demands of summer. Addario’s specializes in the installation of high velocity and traditional air conditioning systems for homes and if you are in an apartment, addition or have a home without ducts, we also offer single area cooling solutions to help keep you cool this summer season.
So, how can you make sure that your home air conditioning and HVAC units are ready to handle summer heat? While we recommend using a professional to handle maintenance and repairs of the A/C unit in your home, you can follow these tips to keep your systems working at peak efficiency:
Clean and Replace your Indoor Air Filters: Air filters in your home should be replaced at least twice a year. When air filters are clogged with dust or grime, your system has to work harder due to restricted air flow, which can reduce efficiency and recirculate dust inside your home. Fresh air filters will help your system run smoother, delivering chilled air to your home.
Clear any debris from the A/C unit: In the same way that dirty indoor air filters restrict flow in your home, debris surrounding an air conditioning unit outdoors can restrict the efficiency of your system. Removing any leaves, brush or other dirt from the unit, along with the trimming of any weeds or brush around the system, will help your unit cool your home easier.
Examine your Coolant Lines: Look at the coolant lines that are on the outside of your air conditioning unit; these are the tubes or pipes that are usually covered with a foam insulation to minimize energy loss. If the insulation is torn or missing, you could be expending a great deal more energy from the unit, which will not only make your system work harder, but it will also cost you money in lost energy savings. If you find that there is missing or torn insulation, contact the cooling experts at Addario’s to help you add the insulation to your unit.
Preventative maintenance for your home air conditioning or HVAC unit can help you lower your energy bills and make sure that you have cool, comfortable air all season long. Before the heat of summer descends on Boston this year, give Addario’s Plumbing a call today for a free home inspection of your air conditioning or HVAC unit and get the highest quality service for homeowners in Massachusetts.
For homeowners in Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex Counties, Massachusetts, the only time that you may think about your home plumbing system is when there is a problem. Like home appliances, the plumbing systems in your home will work best when given regular maintenance and care.
As Massachusetts plumbing experts, we have seen the catastrophic damage that can occur in a home when pipes leak from a lack of plumbing maintenance. Each day, Addarios delivers the highest quality plumbing service to homeowners in Massachusetts and we encourage you to follow these plumbing maintenance tips to help keep your home plumbing in pristine condition.
Kitchen Plumbing Tips:
- Keep your kitchen garbage disposal clean by grinding ice cubes or citrus rinds in the disposer for around half a minute.
- Never put hard to grind waste (including chicken skins, carrots, celery, banana peels) in the garbage disposal.
- Before and after using the garbage disposal, run cold water for at least 15 seconds to help flush any waste through the line.
- Liquid grease from pots and pans should never be poured down the drain or garbage disposal.
Bathroom Plumbing Tips:
- At least once a week, run hot water down bathroom drains to help with the removal of any clogs and to keep water free-flowing.
- Install strainers in tubs and showers to prevent hair from going in the drain, while also making sure to clean strainers regularly.
- Repair leaky faucets and toilets immediately to prevent any damage to fixtures, floors or sinks.
- Do not use your toilet as a trash basket. Facial tissues, cotton balls, make-up pads and diapers should be thrown in the trash to prevent clogging.
Laundry Room Plumbing Tips:
- Regularly inspect washing machine hoses for any signs of wear. If possible, replace rubber hoses with stainless steel, braided hoses that are often more resistant to leaking and cracking.
- Add strainers to the washing machine drains to prevent debris and hair from clogging drain lines.
- Install flood alarms to offer a warning if your washing machine starts to leak.
Engaging in regular, preventative maintenance of your plumbing lines can offer peace of mind for homeowners in the greater Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex County areas. If you need plumbing repair, replacement or installation, give Addarios Plumbing a call today for the highest quality plumbing service for homeowners in Massachusetts.
When was the last time you had your Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex County HVAC system cleaned? If you can’t remember, you could be breathing dirty air, wasting money and putting your loved ones at risk of suffering adverse health effects. A lack of maintenance can cause so much buildup to your HVAC system that dust and dirt can stop your air ducts from working properly.
As Massachusetts HVAC experts, we’ve seen what a lack of maintenance can do to a property’s ducting, sometimes even requiring an entire system replacement. Because we want to help you, your family, house guests, and customers breathe easier this spring and summer, here is why your HVAC system needs preventative maintenance:
- Better indoor air quality: When an HVAC system is leaking or becomes clogged, it can change the quality of the air you breathe indoors. While replacing your filter is a highly recommended step, professional maintenance and cleaning from Addario’s uses specialized tools to clean and remove dust inside your HVAC system that a single filter can’t. This helps improve your indoor air quality more than basic filters, which can also help alleviate allergy symptoms such as itchy eyes, congestion and general irritation to lungs or sinuses.
- Improved safety: Damaged duct work can be seriously dangerous for your home, as it’s likely to leak harmful carbon monoxide through your air vents. Because this gas is completely odorless and invisible, you may not even know it’s lurking in your living room. Routine maintenance checks two or three times a year is all it takes to ensure your entire HVAC system is leak free and safe.
- Cost: When an HVAC system gets clogged with dust from a lack of maintenance, it can damage critical and costly components such as your air handler. This device draws the dirty room air from your house, conditions it, and then returns it back through your home. A dirty air handler cannot filter containments that can load up in the unit and if they’re not removed through routine maintenance, an air handler can become severely damaged. Additionally, a dirty HVAC system will have to work harder to cool and heat your home, increasing your monthly utility bills.
Saving money and breathing easy in the greater Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex County area is as easy as having your HVAC system professionally inspected and maintained. If you want to learn more, give Addario’s Plumbing a call today.
Winter 2016 in the greater Woburn, Massachusetts area has been filled with ups and downs. One day, the lows are below zero and the next, the highs are in the 50s. Fluctuations this big can cause a number of issues for your home and some you might not even be aware of.
When temperatures rise and fall, your basement is at risk of flooding and the associated structural damage. The residential plumbing experts at Addario’s have seen the damage a flooded basement can cause and know that without prevention, repairs can cost up to $50,000. If you want to safeguard your Massachusetts basement from flooding, here’s what to do:
- Sump Pump installation or repair: Having a sump pump is one of the best preventative measures for basement flooding. When snow and ice melt, it will travel into your basement, accumulating water that damages your foundation and stimulates mold growth. With a sump pump however, that water goes into a pit where it’s then discharged safely away from your home. If you don’t have one, now’s the time to have it installed before the rainy season hits in April. If you do have one, it’s wise to get it inspected or repaired so any water build-up can safely be removed.
- Ejector Pump installation or repair: Similar to a sump pump, a sewage ejector pump plumbs into your wastewater system to help keep your basement dry by transferring gray water to your sewer drainage line. If they get clogged or fail, your foundation is at risk of flooding. You should have your ejector pump in your Massachusetts home inspected now to make sure it’s working properly.
- Generators: While you may not think of a generator as a preventative tool for basement flooding, they can play a major role in preparedness. For example, if your power goes out during a storm, how will your sump and ejector pumps work? A stand-alone generator can ensure you always have the power needed to keep your basement dry.
- Drainage: The last thing you want when trying to drain your basement is clogged sewer lines. Having your entire drainage system video inspected is the best way to determine the condition of your wastewater lines and if they need to be repaired.
Keeping your basement dry is the right step toward keeping your home reliable for years to come. If you want to ensure your foundation is water-free in Massachusetts, give Addario’s Plumbing a call today.